Chair: David Huband
- Chair welcomed all to the meeting.
- Apologies: Roz Cadwallader, Debbie Campbell, Joanna Kinnaird.
- Minutes of last Open meeting: Agreed
Nick Caistor, journalist, translator and author of the book, “Sorrows of Mexico”, gave an extremely interesting talk about Mexico and its problems. A quiz at the beginning of his talk revealed our ignorance but his descriptions of the federal political system, the lack of central organisations, the tensions between the North and the poorer South, and the consequences of the war on drugs gave a fascinating, if depressing, picture. Many thanks to Nick for such a thought – provoking talk and discussion.
Jim read out a letter he had written to Boris Johnson and Clive Lewis concerning Andy Tsege – an Ethiopian and British citizen who was kidnapped at an International Airport and rendered to Ethiopia where he faces a death sentence. Members signed the letter.
David Huband has written to Cliff Jordan, the leader of Norfolk County Council, which has signed up to the scheme for accommodating unaccompanied children. He also had his letters to the EDP and the Evening news published. Members were urged to write to Amber Rudd in protest that so few children have been brought to the UK. The Home Office is now saying that only children from Syria and Sudan will be accepted – those from Eritrea and Afghanistan are being rejected. The Dubs Amendment is being ignored.
David Ford attended a skill-share day in London for a new Amnesty campaign, “I welcome”. He will put together the information in the Spring.
Members were asked to sign three online petitions on the Amnesty website.
- To the Prime Minister concerning the renewed bombing in Aleppo.
- Concerning an Opposition leader in Congo.
- Concerning a Nigerian under sentence of death in Singapore.
David Ford circulated another letter to be sent to the President of Turkmenistan requesting a judicial enquiry into the death in custody of Ogulsapar Muradova. He has been unable to make contact with the Country co-ordinator.
- David Huband visited Moorlands Primary and worked with Year 6 children
- Amnesty Christmas Cards are on sale in the Charity Christmas card shop in the Royal Arcade (where Abraxas used to be).
- David Ford will visit Great Yarmouth College on Friday 18th November.
- November 19th. Quiz and Dips St. Thomas’ Hall 7 for 7.30
- November 22nd. UEA Lecture The Sykes-Picot Legacy in the Middle East. 5-7
- November 25th. White Ribbon event at the Millennium Library.
- November 26th. Write for Rights at Norwich Arts Centre on Upper St. Benedict’s. 10-4
- November 26th. Palestinian Fundraising Supper at Chapelfield Methodist Church at 6.00.
- Guest Speaker Jackie Walker.
- Tickets from the Greenhouse or phone 01603 631007
- £16, £11 unwaged, £6 children under 16.
- December 3rd. Peace vigil outside St Peter Mancroft. 12-1
- December 7th. AIUK lobby of Richard Bacon MP (Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe)
Next Meeting – Wednesday 21st December 2016 at 7.30pm