- Chair:David Huband
- 20 people attended
- Chair welcomed all to the meeting.
- Minutes of last meeting agreed
Chair welcomed Mark English, Human Trafficking Co-ordinator for Norfolk and Suffolk Constabularies, who gave a wide-ranging and very informative talk about Modern Slavery: “Hiding in Plain Sight” – followed by a question and answer session.
- Joanna introduced an action to send emails on behalf of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffewho remains in indefinite detention in Iran. Details will be on our website.
- Sakris Kupila– a transgender rights defender from Finland. His was one of the cases in 2017’s Write for Rights Campaign and AI is calling for him to be legally recognised as male without having to go through an irreversible sterilisation. Details on the AIUK website.
- AIUK has drafted a template letter highlighting the fact that Saudi Arabia and China continue to practice capital punishment.It leaves room for improvement but David Ford agreed to re-write it and send it to the EDP.
The Amnesty Second Hand Bookshop on Unthank Road will be fitting out May 21st- June 1st. It plans to open week beginning 4thJune.
- David Ford reported that the Educational Book Stall for trainee teachers at UEA was very successful with many students requesting Amnesty publications.
- David Huband gave a talk at Lakenham Primary School during an event, “Football Welcomes” which involved hundreds of young people and was connected with “Schools of Sanctuary”.
- May 30th PSC Discussion: Anti-Semitism. Friends Meeting House 6.30pm.
- May 30th Amnesty Committee Meeting. Joanna’s 7.30
- June 1st. Love Music, Hate Racism Event. Octagon Chapel 6.30 pm.
- June 2nd. Amnestea Martineau Hall 3 -5 pm.
- June 3rd. Peace Vigil St. Peter Mancroft 12-1pm.
- June 21st. Meeting re sponsorship of refugees. St. Andrew’s Church, Eaton. 7.30pm.
- June 23rd. Amnesty Quiz and Dips St Thomas’ Church hall, Earlham Road 7.30pm
- June 30th. Street Collection
- Sept 3rd. Refugees’ Social Norwich Arts Centre.
Next Open Meeting
Charing Cross Centre
Wednesday 20th June 7.30
Speaker: Mike Clemo
Norwich International Youth project